Summiting the mighty Ben Nevis, the highest peak in the UK, in winter conditions is an amazing experience and is not an undertaking for the fainthearted! It is cold, can be very windy and has a substantial snow covering! It is almost unrecognisable from the summer. Our ascent from the visitor centre follows a walking route which will take approximately 8-10hrs at a steady pace. The views from the summit, or even from half way up, are stunning. On a good day you can see all the way to the majestic rock spires of the Isle of Skye and looking the other way, down Loch Linnhe to the Irish Sea.
- Highest peak in the UK
- 2 days' guiding by a qualified winter mountain leader
- Friday meet up and evening briefing
- A winter skills training day on the Saturday, followed by an ascent of Ben Nevis on the Sunday
- Distance - 11 miles (18km)
- Ascent - 1,329 metres (4,359ft)
- Summit - 1,344 metres (4,408ft)
- You need to be fit for an ascent which may take 8-10hrs
- Twin room hotel accommodation for evening relaxation
- Many years experience on Ben Nevis - we also adhere to the mountain code and work with the John Muir Trust to ensure the conservation of ‘The Ben'.
Join us for a great adventure ...
A typical itinerary looks like this:
Check in to your accommodation, evening briefing, route planning and equipment check with your guide. Time to unwind.
Breakfast and collection of kit (if booked through Maximum Adventure) followed by Winter Skills training to ensure you are prepared for the ascent. Return to accommodation for a debrief and a relaxing evening.
Breakfast and off for your Ben Nevis ascent. Services end on return to your accommodation. Sunday night accommodation is available at a supplement for those who would like to stay over.
Please aim to arrive during the Friday afternoon/evening in time for the evening briefing.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, weather conditions or for any other reason the guide may deem necessary.
We normally run this trip over a weekend, Friday to Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time then please contact us.
To do this trip you need to have a good level of fitness. The fitter you are the more you will enjoy your day.
We recommend that you follow a fitness plan in preparation for your challenge, an example of which will be sent to you when you have confirmed your booking.
Although the fitness plan we will send to you has been devised by a fitness professional, this is only provided as a guide and you should seek professional advice before starting your own fitness regime.
Expect cold weather conditions during the trip. Scottish winter conditions can be severe and you need to be appropriately equipped. See the kit list.
You need to be over 18 or accompanied by a legal guardian.
Book a bespoke event on any date
We run the Ben Nevis Winter Ascent as an open or bespoke event. Our open events run from Friday to Sunday on selected dates from December to the end of April. For bookings of 6 people or more, we also run this as an exclusive event on the dates of your choosing. To book any number of participants on to an event, simply select the date in the calendar and follow the booking procedure. You will then receive an automated confirmation and full details will follow from our office in due course.
Here's a list of the open events we have planned for 2017:
- Fri 9 Dec - 11 Dec - Open event
- Fri 13 Jan -15 Jan - Open event
- Fri 10 Feb - 12 February - Open event
- Fri 17 Feb - 19 Feb - Open Event
- Fri 10 March - 12 March - Open event
- Fri 17 March - 19 March - Open Event
- Fri 14 April - 16 April - Open Event
How to take part for Charity
Pay a £99 deposit and confirm with your charity their minimum fundraising requirements for the balance. This will typically be double the cost of the adventure, less the registration fee.
You can join any of our open Ben Nevis Winter Ascents just select the date of your choice opposite and enter the name of your chosen charity in the group/charity section.
For more details of how fundraising works please read our step by step guide here or contact us for help.
- Hire of technical equipment (crampons, ice axe, helmets) for £80.00 per person
- Hire of rigid Mountaineering Boots £30.00 per person
- Single Room Supplement £45.00 per person
- Extra night £75.00 per night for twin accommodation
- Extra night £95.00 per night for single room accommodation
Please select from Optional Extras at Checkout.
If booking boot hire, please enter your normal shoe size in the group/charity box on the booking form.
Why Book With Us
We know you have a choice of companies to do Ben Nevis with. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- We are an established adventure travel business
- We have been trading for 14 years
- We are financially protected in accordance with the 1992 travel regulation
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from Ben Nevis to Mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your adventure/challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- We have many repeat clients stretching back many years
- Professional event organisation
- Qualified mountain leaders
- Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check.
- Two nights twin room hotel accommodation with breakfast. (Single rooms are available at a supplement of £45)
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders.
Doing this event for charity?
- Travel to and from Fort William
- Lunches, evening meals or beverages
- Personal insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)
- Winter boots and personal technical kit (crampons, ice axe, helmet and harness). These are available as optional extras.
Pay a registration fee followed by a minimum fundraising target for your chosen charity. See our 'More Information' tab for details.