Hadrian's Wall - 7 nights'
- Duration: 7 nights', 7 days' walking
- Walks and Treks
- Self Guided
- April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct
About this Adventure
Enjoy the unique mix of stunning craggy landscapes, far-reaching views across the Solway Firth, green fields and historic cities on this self-guided 7 night walking trip along Hadrian’s Wall. Along the way visit one of the many Roman Forts and museums to imagine what life must have been like here as a Roman soldier. Take time to soak up the quiet solitude of this corner of England. Shorter or longer bespoke itineraries are available on request
- 7 nights’ accommodation
- 7 days’ walking
- 84 miles (135km) and 2,027m (6,648ft) of ascent
- Walk the full length of Hadrian’s Wall from coast to coast
- Enjoy far-reaching views from the best preserved frontier of the Roman Empire
- Explore world-class archaeology and stunning landscapes
The trail is well signposted and despite the fact that it has become one of the most popular tourist attractions in Northern England, it retains a real sense of quiet wilderness. Take time out of your itinerary to visit a Roman Fort and one of the excellent museums such as Tullie House in Carlisle or Chesters Museum near Chollerford or simply sit on Steel Crag and admire the fantastic views and quiet solitude.
By road: The centre of Carlisle is located 10 minutes from junction 43 of the M6.
By public transport: Take a train to Carlisle railway station [CAR], which is located on the West Coast mainline. Check travelline.info for the latest public transport information.
By air: The nearest airports are Manchester Airport [MAN] or Newcastle [NCL], from where you can take a train to Carlisle railway station [CAR].
By road: Segedumun Fort at Wallsend is just 2 miles from the A19 which you can then take North or South to join the A1, or use a local taxi to take you to the centre of Newcastle.
By public transport: Segedunum Fort is just a few hundred metres from the Wallsend Metro Station, from where you can take a Metro train to Newcastle Railway Station which is on the East Coast main line from London to Edinburgh.
By air: The nearest airport is Newcastle [NCL]. Take the Metro into central Newcastle and then take the Metro out to Newcastle Airport.
- Solo traveler supplement £35.00 per person per night
- Odd number supplement for group bookings £30 per night
- Extra night prior to the start (single room) £95 per person
- Extra night prior to the start (twin room, needs 2 people) £75 per person
- Extra night at the end of the event (single room) £95 per person
- Extra night at the end of the event (twin room, needs 2 people) £75 per person
- Transfer back to your car at the end of your walk (for up to 3 passengers) £175
Please select from Optional Extras at checkout.
We normally run this trip over 8 days, Friday to Friday, however, if you would like to do this at any other time, then please contact us. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Day 1: Arrive at your accommodation in Carlisle.
Day 2 – Bowness on Solway to Carlisle: Starting with a Taxi transfer out to Bowness on Solway, walk alongside a quiet road overlooking the Solway Firth, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, via the village of Burgh by Sands to the River Eden as it winds into the city of Carlisle.
22km (14 miles) and 133m (436ft) of ascent.
Day 3 – Carlisle to Banks: Take time to see the castle and cathedral before heading out of the city across green fields to Bank. The wall here was an earth structure, so very little remains.
22km (14miles) and 277m (909ft) of ascent.
Day 4 – Banks to Once Brewed: Today is filled with Roman landmarks. Spot turrets, mile castles, two well preserved forts and a substantial section of the wall and ascend Winshields Crag, the highest point on the route, to admire fantastic views across the surrounding countryside before finishing in the hamlet of Once Brewed.
22km (14 miles) and 585m (1,919ft) of ascent.
Day 5 – Once Brewed to Brocolitia: Prepare yourself for the most iconic section of the wall – Steel Rigg and Sycamore Gap. Famous as the site of numerous films including Robin Hood, the wall follows the escarpment before descending to Housesteads Roman Fort, where you can see the enormous scale of the military operations and civilian settlement which was here almost 2000 years ago. You then gain stunning views from Sewingshields Crags before walking alongside the Roman military road to Brocolitia Fort and Carrau.
13km (8 miles) and 363m (1191ft) of ascent.
Day 6 – Brocolitia to East Wallhouses: The days starts with a pleasant walk into Chollerford and then it’s a surprisingly enjoyable walk over Accomb Fell beside the old Roman road (now the B6318) to East Wallhouses.
21km (13 miles) and 324m (1063ft) of ascent.
Day 7 - East Wallhouses to Newburn: The trail passes alongside the military road, before heading through Heddon on the Wall down to the River Tyne as you walk into the outskirts of Newcastle to the suburb of Newburn.
15km (9 miles) and 108m (354ft) of ascent.
Day 8 - Newburn to Wallsend: Quite a contrast for this final stage of the trail as you walk alongside the River Tyne beneath Newcastle’s famous bridges and eye-catching architecture to the end of the wall at Segendum Fort.
19km (12 miles) and 213m (699ft) of ascent.
The trip ends at the end of the walk unless you have booked extra nights or other optional services with us.
Doing this walk for charity?
Pay a registration fee followed by a minimum fundraising target for your chosen charity. Call us on 01768 371289 for more information.
- 7 nights’ accommodation in good quality B&Bs or hotels with ensuite or private bathroom and breakfast
- Luggage transfers each walking day
- Map and guide book plus detailed directions to your accommodation from the trail
- Expert local knowledge and 24 hour emergency assistance during your trip
- Professional event organisation
- Travel to the start and finish points of the trip
- Lunches and evening meals
- Personal insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)
- Guiding (please contact us if you would like this trip to be guided)