Lake District Cycle Challenge
- Duration: 2 nights, 1 day's cycling
- Charity Events
- Available: April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept
About this Adventure
The Lake District Cycle Challenge is a serious challenge for any cyclist. In just over 40 miles, you climb Wrynose Pass, cycle alongside 4 beautiful lakes and enjoy the cycling gem that is the Duddon Valley. Set amid classic Lake District mountainous terrain, this route will leave you feeling exhilarated with an amazing sense of achievement. Riding with a guide and support vehicle, this is a great introduction to cycling climbs and passes
- 2 nights’ accommodation with breakfast – twin share basis
- 1 day of cycling
- 42 mile (68km)
- 7,720ft (2,353m) of ascent and descent
- Guided and vehicle support
Getting to/from Grasmere
By road:Grasmere is located on the A591 approximately 40 minutes from junction 36 on the M6.
By train: The nearest train station is located in Windermere [WDM], which has regular services from Oxenholme on the main west coast mainline. A frequent bus services connects Grasmere and Windermere. Check out www.travelline.info for information on bus and train times. The majority of train operators will carry your bike free of charge, however due to limited space on board, you are advised to book in advance.
By air: The nearest airports are Manchester [MAN]. Use www.travelline.info for information about public transport from these airports to Grasmere.
Our Guides are skilled and experienced cycle leaders with an excellent knowledge of the local area and a great focus on customer service. They take care of all the day-to-day planning and organisation leaving you free to enjoy the cycling. Your Guide(s) will meet you at your accommodation the evening before the challenge to give you an opportunity to ask any questions you may have, check what you will need and see the route for the next day.
How to take part for Charity
Pay a £99 deposit and confirm with your charity their minimum fundraising requirements for the balance. This will typically be double the cost of the adventure, less the registration fee. For more details of how fundraising works please read our step by step guide here or contact us for help.
- Cycle Hire for the duration (includes helmet) £90 per person
- Single Room Supplement £45.00 per person
- Extra night £75.00 per night for twin accommodation (needs two people)
- Extra night £95.00 per night for single room accommodation
Please select from Optional Extras at Checkout.
Why Book With Us
We know you have a choice of companies to cycle with. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- We are an established adventure travel business
- We have been trading since 2002
- We are financially protected in accordance with the 1992 travel regulation
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from Ben Nevis to Mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your adventure/challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- We have many repeat clients stretching back many years
|Group Size||Guided & Supported||Supported Only|
We normally run this Lake District Cycle Challenge over 2 nights, Friday to Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time, including midweek, then please contact us. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Day 1 - Arrival
Arrive in Grasmere and meet your Cycle Guide(s). Find out about the route and what you’ll need for your challenge.
Day 2 - The Challenge
Leaving behind the pretty village of Grasmere we cycle alongside the lakes of Grasmere and Rydal, pass through Ambleside and begin our first easy climb up to Hawkshead on quiet country lanes. It's then a pleasant ride beside Coniston Water down to Lowick. After an undulating route over Woodland Fell, it's a tough ascent up Stickle Pass (278m) and a fast descent into the very beautiful Duddon Valley. This is where the real climbing begins as we make our way past beautiful scenery to the top of Wrynose Pass (393m). We celebrate conquering this famous Lakeland pass and then enjoy the cycle down into Elterwater. There is one final push over Redbank (163m), where we get stunning views of the Lakeland Fells and the welcoming sight of our finishing point in Grasmere.
42 mile (68km), 7,720ft (2,353m) of ascent and descent
Day 3 - Departure
Spend the morning exploring the pretty village of Grasmere or visit Dove Cottage, the home of William Wordsworth, before heading home.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, members' fitness and weather conditions or for any other reason.
- 2 nights’ accommodation in a 3* or 4* hotel with ensuite and breakfast
- Qualified and experienced cycle leader(s)
- Support vehicle
- Expert local knowledge and 24 hour emergency assistance during your trip
- Professional event organisation
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
- Lunch and evening meals (there are lots of great pubs and cafes to stop en route for lunch)
- Personal insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)
- Bike and bike equipment. Hire available at at supplement of £90 per person