Make A Wish Foundation Ben Nevis Ascent
- Duration: Weekend
- Charity Events
- Walks and Treks
- Weekends, May - October
About this Adventure
You can take part in Ben Nevis Ascent on weekends (Friday to Sunday) between the months of May and October inclusive
To take part in this challenge there is a £75 registration fee and a £400 minimum sponsorship target.
- 1 days guiding by an experienced guide on Ben Nevis
- Distance - 11 miles/18km
- Ascent - 4359ft/1329 metres
- Summit - 4408ft/1344 metres
- 1 days guiding by an experienced guide on Ben Nevis
- Accommodation is provided
- We run this trip between May and October, however you can do the 'Ben' in winter to experience some winter mountaineering, see Ben Nevis - Winter.
- Many years experience on Ben Nevis - we also adhere to the mountain code and work with the John Muir Trust to ensure the conservation of ‘The Ben'.
- You need a reasonable level of fitness
About Make-A-Wish Foundation®
Make-A-Wish Foundation® UK grants magical wishes to children and young people fighting life-threatening conditions. Since being established in the UK in 1986, we have granted over 7,800 wishes. There are over 20,000 children in the UK living with a life-threatening illness. We believe that every one of them deserves to experience the magic of a Make-A-Wish wish - and they are truly magical. A small and dedicated team of professional wish granters works alongside hundreds of volunteers to turn our children's wishes into reality. Whether a wish is to be a princess or a train driver for the day, own the latest TV or computer equipment, meet a favourite celebrity or just enjoy some special time away from home with their family, a wish come true brings so much to a child's life and provides memories that last a lifetime for the whole family. This year, around 1,400 children will turn to Make-A-Wish to have their special wish granted - we need to raise over £6.8 million per year to continue granting these magical wishes. Make-A-Wish receives no government funding or lottery grants, relying on the generous donations of the public and that's why, for our charity, every donation really counts.
About Ben Nevis Ascent
Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Britain and stands 1344m high, rising from sea level at Loch Linnhe and towering over the town of Fort William. Going from the bottom to the top of the mountain you pass through 4 different vegetation zones. There is snow on the summit for much of the year; indeed it is not uncommon to find 8 feet of snow on the top during April. Every year we run summer ascents of Ben Nevis, led by qualified mountain leaders. Our ascent from the visitor centre avoids the foreboding cliffs seen in the photographs, and follows a walking route that will take approximately 8 - 10 hrs at a steady pace (the key to progress on a mountain is steady pacing and not speed and pause). If you are lucky with the weather then the views from the summit, and even from half way up, are quite stunning. On a good day you can see all the way to the majestic rock spires of The Isle of Skye and looking the other way, down Loch Linnhe to the Irish Sea. The trip is fully guided by an experienced mountain leader with lots of experience on Ben Nevis!
How to take part for Make-A-Wish Foundation
To do this challenge there is a non-refundable registration fee of £75 per person, payable to Maximum Adventure at the time of booking. You can then choose between the two different options below. Self-Funding £75 registration fee at the time of booking £124 balance due 10 weeks before departure With the self-funding option you personally cover the full cost of the challenge. This option means that there is no minimum sponsorship target due, but we encourage you to raise as much money as you can for Make-A-Wish Foundation. Minimum Sponsorship Pledge £75 registration fee at the time of booking £400 minimum fundraising target 80% to be raised 10 weeks before departure With the minimum sponsorship pledge option you must submit 80% of your fundraising target to Make-A-Wish Foundation 10 weeks before departure date.
How to Book
You can take part on any weekend (Friday to Sunday) between May and October inclusive, just select the dates of your choice from the calendar opposite. Once we have received your booking we will contact you with specific information about your challenge, along with an appropriate kit list and fitness plan to help you prepare for your upcoming challenge and make the most of it! Make-A-Wish Foundation will be informed of your registration and will be in contact with you directly. Please note there is a 3% charge on credit card
- Single Room Supplement £45.00 per person per night
- Extra night £75.00 per person per night for twin accommodation
- Extra night £95.00 per person per night for single room accommodation
Please select from Optional Extras at Checkout.
Why Book With Us
We know you have a choice of companies to climb Ben Nevis with. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- We are an established adventure travel business
- We have been trading since 2002
- We are financially protected in accordance with the 1992 travel regulation
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from Ben Nevis to Mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your adventure/challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- We have many repeat clients stretching back many years
We normally run this Ben Nevis Summer Ascent over a weekend, Friday to Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time, including midweek, then please contact us. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Make your way to Fort William and your accommodation.
Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check with your guide.
Breakfast and then depart for Ben Nevis.
Climb Ben Nevis following a route from the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre.
Return to your accommodation for a relaxing evening.
Depart after a hearty breakfast to make your way home.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, and weather conditions or for any other reason
Please aim to arrive at your accommodation the Friday afternoon/evening in time for the evening briefing at 8 pm, and to be ready for the start of the hike the next day.
- Professional event organisation
- Qualified mountain leaders
- Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check
- Two nights twin room accommodation with breakfast (Single rooms are available at a supplement)
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
- Transfers between hotel and Ben Nevis
- Glasgow International Airport arrival and departure transfers are available at a supplement
- Travel to or from your accommodation
- Evening meals/Packed Lunches/Beverages
- Personal Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)