Best of Pyrenees
France and Spain
- Duration: Long weekend
- Walks and Treks
- June, July, August - mid September
About this Adventure
A crossing of the Pyrenees from France to Spain in the footsteps of escaped allied soldiers... This trip takes us from southern France through the high Pyrenees into the Ordesa Gorge in northern Spain. It is loosely based on the famous Comet Line which is the route escaped allied soldiers were spirited across by the French resistance during the second world war
- 3 days guiding by qualified mountain leaders.
- We'll pick you up from the airport and take you back.
- Luggage transfers between accommodations.
- This trip is possible between mid/end June and mid September.
- This trip is run on a bespoke basis - just ask
- Many years experience in providing these courses.
- You need to be pretty fit and have a head for heights.
- There is a lower level route starting and finishing in the same locations for those who want similar scenery but less height!
- History and stunning scenery - all rolled into one!
This trip has three walking days and a travel out day and a travel back day. We can run this trip over a long weekend, Thursday to Monday or on any days to suit your group within the 'weather window' mid/end June - mid September.
We will conduct the planning with you in advance of the trip and you will meet your guide, who will be a qualified mountain leader, when you arrive at your accommodation. At this time they will go through the planned route and carry out an equipment check to ensure you have everything you need to enable you to enjoy the following days. For this trip we have chosen the high Pyrenees route west of Monte Perdido (3355m) staying at two mountain huts and two hotels which are reached by 3 day walks:
Day 1: Arrive in France (arrival airport to be decided with the group but Lourdes/Toulouse/Biarritz are the locations you need) and transfer to Gavarnie.
Day 2: Climb up into the national park passing through the amazing view of the cirque de Gavarnie, staying at the Refuge des Sarradets (2587m).
Day 3: With an early start we climb up and through the Brecha del Rolando (pass) at 2807m across the plateau to the Goriz hut. Overnight at this hut overlooking the stunning Ordesa Gorge.
Day 4: Today we walk out of the Ordesa Gorge. There are two options - one a high level traverse with some exposure. The other a descent through the gorge which has a short section of iron chains and steps to negotiate. We descend down to the Valle de Ordesa and once we've had a well earned drink we move out the park to Torla for the last night in a hotel bed and a celebratory meal.
Day 5: Transfer to departure airport (usually Zaragoza) and depart for the UK.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, weather conditions or for any other reason the guide may deem necessary.
There are two standard variations possible to the above itinerary. One is to include an ascent of Mt Perdido, at 3355m the third highest mountain in the Pyrenees. This would be an additional day to be included after day 3, thus extending the trip by one day. Alternatively there is a lower level route starting and finishing in the same places but avoiding the higher and more technical elements of the walk.
- Professional event organisation.
- Qualified mountain leaders.
- Arrival and departure transport from relevant airports (we recommend Lourdes as arrival and Zaragoza as departure)
- 2 nights accommodation bed and breakfast in comfortable hotels. Single rooms are available at a supplement.
- 2 nights hut accommodation half board.
- Luggage transfers between start and end accommodations.
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders.