3 Peaks of Ireland
- Duration: Long weekend
- Walks and Treks
- May, June, July, August, September, October
About this Adventure
Experience the beautiful mountain scenery of County Kerry in South West Ireland and the rugged Wicklow Mountains in Leinster, and climb the highest peak in Ireland’s 3 biggest mountain ranges, all in one weekend
- 3 days guiding by qualified mountain leaders
- Total Distance - 20 to 25 miles depending on choice of routes
- Total Height Gain - 2,500m
- Highest Point - 1,038m - Carrauntoohil
- Comfortable accommodation provided to take the hassle out of your trip.
- Many years experience offering guided trips.
- You need to be pretty fit and have a head for heights.
- Set open dates or bespoke courses for individuals to larger groups - just ask if the date you want is not listed.
Mount Brandon owes its craggy shape to the work of local glaciers during the ice age, which gouged out a series of corries (cwms) on the eastern flank of the mountain. Running in a line almost all the way to the summit are some Paternoster lakes, a series of rock steps each of which are occupied by a lake, the largest being Loch Cruite. Carrauntoohil, at 1038m, is the highest mountain in the Macgillycuddy’s Reeks range and the highest mountain in Ireland. A large metal cross, 5m tall, tops the peak. The name 'Carrauntoohil' derives from the Irish language Corrán Tuathail, meaning 'Tuathal's sickle'. Lugnaquilla, at 925m, is the highest mountain in the Wicklow Mountain range. In Irish, Lugnaquilla = Log na Coille, meaning Hollow of the Wood. Views, on a clear day extend east across the Irish Sea to the hills of the Llŷn Peninsula and mountains of Snowdonia in Wales.
The trip starts on a Thursday and finishes on the Monday. At the start of your trip you will meet your guide who is a qualified mountain leader. A typical itinerary may look like this:
Day 1 - Thursday: Fly from the UK to Kerry Airport and you will be transferred to the picturesque town of Dingle where you will be staying for the night. Experience some local hospitality at a local Inn!
Day 2 - Friday: Breakfast then depart for Brandon. Depending on the weather we will either take the main tourist path or the scenic ‘7 lakes' route. Return to Dingle by mid afternoon and transfer to your overnight accommodation.
Day 3 - Saturday: Breakfast then depart for Carrauntoohil, the highest mountain in Ireland. Again we have a choice of routes depending on weather and appetite. Descend the mountain by mid afternoon and transfer to your overnight accommodation.
Day 4 - Sunday: Breakfast then depart for Lugnaquilla. Return to transport early afternoon and transfer to Dublin. Either late afternoon flight back to the UK or optional overnight stay in Dublin.
Day 5 - Monday: Morning flight back to the UK for people that chose optional overnight in Dublin.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, weather conditions or for any other reason the guide may deem necessary. Every effort is made to fit the course around your needs and abilities.
Considering doing this challenge for charity?
Pay a registration fee followed by a minimum fundraising target for your chosen charity. Call us on 01768 371289 for more information.
- Professional event organisation.
- Qualified mountain leaders.
- Briefing, route planning and equipment check to ensure you have everything you need to fully enjoy the following days.
- 3 or 4 nights twin room accommodation with breakfast. Single rooms are available at a supplement.
- Transfers between each of the peaks.
- Arrival and departure airport transfers.
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders.