Cycle Cambridge to Heidelberg Challenge
England Holland Belgium Germany
- Duration: 5 Nights 5 Days Cycling
About this Adventure
Take up the challenge of cycling from Cambridge to Heidelberg in Germany to raise money for STARS Children Bereavement Support. The total distance covered by bike over 5 days is approximately 415 miles and you will travel through four great cycling countries (England, Holland, Belgium & Germany) with the last two days of cycling next to the Rhein River to reach your final destination of Heidelberg for a much deserved celebration
- This is a cycle from Cambridge to Heidelberg via the Harwich/Hook of Holland ferry crossing.
- The total distance covered by bike is approximately 415 miles with a total ascent of around 1800m.
- This route takes us through the great cycling countries of Holland and Belgium as well as finishing with the last two days of cycling along the Rhein river.
- This will be a challenging but manageable ride.
- The terrain is slightly hilly to start with and then flattening off for the middle stages before including some slightly hilly sections at the end.
- The event will be supported by an event coordinator, cycle guides and support vehicles.
The outline itinerary is as below – the first day is the shortest one from Cambridge to Harwich, followed by a couple of longer ones on the relatively flat terrain of Holland and Belgium, before finishing with the two days along the Rhine and through the hillier Taunus area of Germany.
Day 1 – from Cambridge to Harwich. The evening ferry leaves late and so we will have plenty of time for a reasonable start, a nice photo opportunity and then some nice cycling over 65 miles. Night on the ferry and hopefully we will get some sleep!
Day 2 – Hopefully the crossing will be uneventful and we will be out on the road by 8-9am for a day of cycling through Holland. Whilst the miles will be longish today the roads will be flattish! Thus compensating. As the sleep will no doubt have been a little disrupted on the ferry and the excitement of the first day we will aim to be at the hotel for 5pm in time for everyone to get showered and then have some food before some much needed rest.
Day 3 – By now we are well into the adventure. Passing through the flatlands of northern Europe in Holland and Belgium we traverse great cycling terrain and make the most of local cafes and patisseries along the way for some much needed breaks.
Day 4 – Today we cross into Germany and head for the Rhine with some of its fantastic castles, towers and turrets. The Rhine has some of the most fantastic river scenery in Europe and caters well for cyclists.
Day 5 – cycle from our overnight stop to Heidelberg, the finish point of the tour. This has a couple of hilly sections in it before arriving at the historic town of Heidelberg in Germany. An evening of celebration is in order we think!
Day 6 – Transfer to Frankfurt airport for a Ryanair flight back to Stansted. These flights will be coordinated closer to the time
This itinerary is a provisional itinerary only and potentially subject to change depending upon route preparation or other reasons.
- Full event organisation
- Pre-event briefing at a suitable location in Cambridge
- Kit lists and training plans
- Cycle guides
- Support vehicles throughout (for luggage transfers, mechanical support and food supplies)
- Ferry crossing and inside cabin berth Harwich to Hook of Holland
- Accommodation 4 nights in a hotel twin room with breakfast.
- One coach transfer to closest airport from Heidelberg