Breast Cancer Now - Hadrian's Wall Cycle-Walk-Cycle
Cumbria and Northumberland
- Duration: Long Weekend
- Walks and Treks
- Top Trips
- Available During: April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct
About this Adventure
This event covers the whole length of Hadrian’s Wall in three days. You cycle the first part, walk the central and more mountainous part, and cycle the last part. The walking part covers some of the finest and best preserved sections of the Wall
- Three day itinerary: approximately 40 miles of cycling; 15 miles of walking; 45 miles of cycling. 100 miles total
- Guiding included
- Three nights’ twin room hotel accommodation
- Transfer vehicle for luggage and bikes when not used
- Walk in the footsteps of Roman soldiers and cycle visiting a series of towers, mile castles and forts
Considering doing this challenge for charity?
Right now, breast cancer is at a tipping point. More women are surviving. But more are being diagnosed than ever before. One in eight women in the UK will face breast cancer in their lifetime. And every 45 minutes, another woman dies from the disease. We’re going to change that. We’re Breast Cancer Now, the UK’s largest breast cancer research charity – and we're dedicated to funding research into this devastating disease.How to book in support of Breast Cancer Now
To register for this challenge there is a non-refundable registration fee of £199 per person, payable to Maximum Adventure at the time of booking. You can then choose between the two different options below.
Self-Funding £199 registration fee at the time of booking £390 balance due 10 weeks before departure With the self-funding option you personally cover the full cost of the challenge. This option means that there is no minimum sponsorship target due, but we encourage you to raise as much money as you can for Breast Cancer Now.
This adventure covers the whole length of Hadrian's Wall in three days. You cycle the first part, walk the central, more mountainous and craggy section, and cycle the last part. The route passes through some of Northern England's most beautiful scenery and on the walk you will enjoy some of the finest and best-preserved sections of the wall. The terrain varies between the peaceful Solway Firth, the cities of Carlisle and Newcastle, and the wild mountain scenery of the central section of the wall. The walking is along the wall from Greenhead to Brocolitia. The cycling is primarily along the Hadrian’s Wall cycle route, which combines low-traffic country roads with off-road sections. Throughout, the scenery is impressive. A great way to do the whole length of the wall in 3 days.
- Extra Bag/Luggage Transfer £10 per bag
- Cycle Hire for the duration (includes helmet) £100 per bike
- Single Room Supplement £45.00 per person
- Extra night £75.00 per night for twin accommodation
- Extra night £95.00 per night for single room accommodation
Please select from Optional Extras at checkout. If booking bikes please indicate your gender and height in the charity/group box on the booking form.
Why Book With Us
We know you have a choice of companies to walk or cycle Hadrian's Wall with. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- We are an established adventure travel business
- We have been trading since 2002
- We are financially protected in accordance with the 1992 travel regulation
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from Ben Nevis to Mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your adventure/challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- We have many repeat clients stretching back many years
We normally run this Hadrian's Wall Cycle Walk Cycle over a long weekend, Thursday to Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time, including midweek, then please contact us. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Day 1 - Thursday: Meet later in the afternoon / evening at the accommodation in Carlisle. Briefing with trip leader and guides in the evening.
Day 2 - Friday: Transfer to start of event at Bowness-on-Solway. Cycle along Hadrian’s Wall Cycleway; taking in the Solway Firth, Carlisle, Brampton, Lanercost Priory and Gilsland to Greenhead. Transfer to accommodation.
Day 3 - Saturday: Transfer to Greenhead for walking section. Walk along the most spectacular section of Hadrian’s Wall, from Greenhead to Brocolitia.
Day 4 - Sunday: Transfer back to Brocolitia, with bike. Cycle through Hexham, Ovingham, and Newcastle to Wallsend. End of event: transfer to Newcastle station and return home.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, and weather conditions or for any other reason.
To do this challenge for a charity there is a non-refundable registration fee of £199 per person, payable to Maximum Adventure at the time of booking. You can then choose between the two different options below.
Minimum Sponsorship Pledge Pay £199 registration fee at the time of booking and confirm with your charity their minimum fundraising requirements for the balance. This will typically be double the cost of the adventure, less the registration fee. With the minimum sponsorship pledge option, you must submit 80% of your fundraising target to the charity 10 weeks before the departure date.
*Select funding option from the “optional extras” during booking.
For more details of how fundraising works please read our step by step guide here or contact us for help.
- Three nights’ twin room accommodation in a good quality B&B or hotel with ensuite or private bathroom and breakfast (single rooms available at a supplement of £45 per person per night)
- Professional event organisation
- Qualified mountain leaders on walk day
- Qualified cycle guides on cycling days
- Transfers from point of arrival and point of departure as well as during the trip to the start and finish points of your walks
- Baggage and cycle equipment transfer. (This is limited to 1 bag per person, however extra bags can be transferred at a small supplement)
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
- Option to use your own bike (mountain or trail bike)
- Briefing, route planning and equipment check to ensure you have everything you need to fully enjoy the following days
- Travel to and from start and finish locations
- Lunches, Evening Meals, Snacks and Drinks
- Bike and bike equipments (Bike hire is available for £100 supplement per bike)
Book a bespoke event on any date
We run the Hadrian's Wall Cycle-Walk-Cycle as an open or bespoke event. Our open events run monthly Thursday to Sunday from April to the October. For bookings of 8 people or more, we also run this as an exclusive event on the dates of your choosing. To book any number of participants on to an event, simply select the date in the calendar and follow the booking procedure. You will then receive an automated confirmation and full details will follow from our office in due course