Beginning in Minehead and travelling 630 miles to South Haven Point in Dorset, the South West Coast Path is the longest of Britain’s National Trails.
The second section of the trail is not for the faint-hearted and provides a challenging but rewarding trek from Westward Ho! to Padstow. This magnificent section of the South West Coast Path takes you on a journey from Devon into Cornwall via a dramatic coastline consisting of tall cliffs and plunging valleys, sculpted by the fierce Atlantic Ocean. On the way you will pass through idyllic fishing villages and scenic seaside towns, all the while encountering an abundance of wildlife and remnants of history, from shipwrecks to the famous Tintagel Castle – inextricably linked with the legend of King Arthur.
We take the stress out of your trip with expert local knowledge, hand-picked accommodation, luggage transfers and detailed support to help you find your way. You will need full walking kit including a waterproof jacket and trousers, a comfortable day sack and comfortable walking boots. You will receive a more detailed kit list upon booking.
The price for this trip is based on 2 people sharing.
- 6 nights’ accommodation in good quality B&Bs or hotels with ensuite or private bathroom and breakfast
- Luggage transfers each walking day (1 x bag per person, max. weight limit 20kg)
- Map and guide book plus detailed directions to your accommodation from the trail
- Expert local knowledge and 24 hour emergency assistance during your trip
- Professional event organisation
- Travel to the start and finish points of the trip
- Lunches and evening meals
- Personal insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)
- Guiding (please contact us if you would like this trip to be guided)
- Single room supplement £75 per person per night (subject to availability)
- Solo traveler supplement £75 per person per night
- Odd group supplement £75 per group per night may apply if a single room is required
- Extra night prior to start (single room) £145 per person
- Extra night prior to the start (twin room, needs 2 people) £90 per person
- Extra night at the end of the event (single room) £145 per person
- Extra night at the end of the event (twin room, needs 2 people) £90 per person
Please select from Optional Extras at checkout.
Getting there and back
By road: To reach Westward Ho! take the M5 to junction 27 and then the A361 followed by the A39.
By public transport: The nearest train station to Westward Ho! is Barnstaple. Regular buses run between the two.
By air: The nearest airport to Westward Ho! is Exeter Airport. From Exeter you can then take a train to Barnstaple and then a bus or taxi to Westward Ho!
- Routes to the north: M5, A30, A38, A389
- Routes to the east: M4, M5, A30, A389
- Routes to the west: M4, M5, A30
By public transport: Take a bus from Padstow to Bodmin Parkway train station, from where it is possible to catch a train to London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc.
By air: The nearest airport is Newquay. It is possible to take a bus from Padstow to this airport. The main regional airports are Bristol and Exeter. Although these are further away they may suit those coming from further away or overseas.
Evening meals and lunches
You can purchase evening meals either at the accommodation or nearby. When our event planners send you the schedule with itinerary you could prearrange directly with the accommodation or during the walk.
For lunches we would suggest bringing some of your own favourite snack bars and then asking the accommodation for a packed lunch for the following day and also supplementing that at stops en-route.
Accommodation is generally at B&B, guest houses and small hotels. Once booked in, your event planner will send you a list of your booked accommodation. It is possible to adjust according to preference at this stage so please mention it if you wish to change.
If you would like to bring your four legged friend, then we will do our best to source dog friendly accommodation. It is usually possible but if it were not, then we would suggest a change of date to enable it or offer a refund. There may be a small surcharge for the overnight stays. Therefore, once booked in, please alert your event planner that you would like to bring your dog and we can proceed from there.
Need a guide?
If you would prefer to have a guide for your walk, even just for one day, then we are happy to help. We can provide a qualified leader (also first aid qualified) to lead your trek or on just one of the sections. Just ask us.
A guide can not only take the stress out of navigation, but you will also find them a great asset in terms of providing an insight into all things environment and nature.
Dates and prices
For available dates please click on the ‘Book Now’ option on the left hand side on desktops or at the bottom on mobiles. You can reserve your space via this route.
After you book
After placing your booking with us, you will in the first instance receive an automated email from our system confirming receipt of your reservation. If you don’t receive it, it is worth checking your spam/clutter folder.
In the process of placing your booking, you will generally set up an access password to our online gateway where you can review the details of the booking.
Your personal event planner will then be in touch with you to start to confirm the details. This contact will usually be taken up in the working day after receipt of your booking, but may, in busy times, take a little longer. The event planner will then liaise with you regarding the details of the course. If you have any specific requirements, please do mention it at this stage.
At the end of your trip
Unfortunately, all good things come to an end at some point and when you arrive at Padstow you have one of several options. If you have not booked an additional night’s stay in Padstow then we can transfer your luggage to a location of your choice. From there you may have onward travel arranged as per the ‘Getting There and Back’ tab above.
Some people like to treat themselves to a night’s stay in Padstow at the end. And why not? You’ve earned it. You can arrange this as an optional add on with your event planner.