Ben Nevis, at 1,344m high, rises from sea level at Loch Linnhe and towers over the town of Fort William. Our ascent will take approximately 8 - 10 hrs at a steady pace (the key to progress on a mountain) and follows the main path from the Glen Nevis visitor centre. If you are lucky with the weather the views from the summit are quite stunning. On a good day, you can see all the way to the Isle of Skye and down Loch Linnhe to the Irish Sea. The trip is fully guided by experienced mountain leaders with lots of experience on Ben Nevis.
- Distance – 11 miles (18km)
- Ascent – 1,329m (4,359ft)
- Summit – 1,344m (4,408ft)
- 1 days' guiding by an experienced mountain leader on Ben Nevis
- 2 nights' accommodation
- We run this trip between May and October, however you can do the 'Ben' in winter to experience some winter mountaineering, see Ben Nevis - Winter
- Many years’ experience on Ben Nevis - we also adhere to the mountain code and work with the John Muir Trust to ensure the conservation of ‘The Ben'
We normally run this Ben Nevis Summer Ascent over a weekend, Friday to Sunday, however if you would like to do this at any other time, including midweek, please contact us. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Make your way to Fort William and your accommodation.
Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check with your guide.
Breakfast and then short taxi transfer to the foot of Ben Nevis.
Climb Ben Nevis following a route from the Glen Nevis Visitor Centre.
Return to your accommodation for a relaxing evening.
Depart after a hearty breakfast to make your way home.
Please note: This itinerary is a guide only. It can be subject to change dependent upon viability, course members' fitness, and weather conditions.
Please aim to arrive at your accommodation the Friday afternoon/evening in time for the evening briefing at 8pm and to be ready for the start of the hike the next day.
To do this trip you need to have a reasonable level of fitness. No previous mountaineering experience is required; however, the fitter you are the more you will enjoy your day.
The ascent and descent takes 8 - 10 hrs. You will be carrying a daysack and you may encounter inclement weather conditions.
We recommend that you follow a fitness plan in preparation for your challenge, an example of which will be sent to you when you have confirmed your booking. Although the fitness plan we will send to you has been devised by a fitness professional, this is only provided as a guide and you should seek professional advice before starting your own fitness regime.
Book a bespoke event on any date
We run the Ben Nevis Summer Ascent as an open or bespoke event. Our open events run fortnightly every Friday to Sunday from May to the end of October. For bookings of 6 people or more, we also run this as an exclusive event on the dates of your choosing. To book any number of participants on to an event, simply select the date in the calendar and follow the booking procedure. You will then receive an automated confirmation and full details will follow from our office in due course.
Here's a list of the open events we have planned for 2017:
- Fri 5 may-7 May - Open events
- Fri 19 May-21 May - Open events
- Fri 2 June-4 June - Open events
- Fri 16 June-18 June - Open events
- Fri 14 July-16 July - Open events
- Fri 28 July-30 July - Open events
- Fri 11 Aug-13 Aug - Open events
- Fri 25 Aug-27 Aug - Open events
- Fri 8 Sept-10 Sept - Open events
- Fri 22 Sept-24 Sept - Open events
- Fri 6 Oct-8 Oct - Open events
- Fri 20 Oct-22 Oct - Open events
Standing on top of Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the UK, gives an amazing sense of achievement. At 1344m above sea level it is not uncommon to find over 2m of snow on the summit in March. Weather conditions permit us to run this course anytime from May to October. Please enquire should you wish to do a winter version (Dec - Apr).
Walk Only Price £99 If you would like to do this challenge as a Walk Only (no accommodation) please select Walk Only from the Optional Extras upon booking
How to take part for Charity
Pay a £99 deposit and confirm with your charity their minimum fundraising requirements for the balance. This will typically be double the cost of the adventure, less the registration fee.
You can join any of our open Ben Nevis Summer Ascents just select the date of your choice opposite and enter the name of your chosen charity in the group/charity section.
For more details of how fundraising works please read our step by step guide here or contact us for help.
- Single Room Supplement £45.00 per person
- Extra night £75.00 per night for twin accommodation
- Extra night £95.00 per night for single room accommodation
Please select from Optional Extras at Checkout. If booking boot hire, please enter your normal shoe size in the group/charity box on the booking form.
Why Book With Us
We know you have a choice of companies with whom to do a Ben Nevis Summer Ascent. Here are some of the reasons you should choose to travel with Maximum Adventure:
- We are an established adventure travel business
- We have been trading for 14 years
- We are financially protected in accordance with the 1992 travel regulation
- Knowledgeable and available office staff
- Qualified leaders and guides with ascents ranging from Ben Nevis to Mount Everest
- All activities are risk assessed
- We try to give you the best service we can
- We are aware this is your adventure/challenge and will do our best to facilitate it
- We have many repeat clients stretching back many years
- Professional event organisation
- Qualified mountain leaders
- Group first aid kit with qualified first aiders
- Evening briefing, route planning and equipment check
- Two nights' twin room hotel accommodation with breakfast Single rooms are available at a supplement of £45
Doing this event for charity?
- Travel to and from Fort William
- Lunches/evening meals and beverages
- Personal Insurance (for cancellation, accident, health, emergency evacuation and loss, theft of or damage to baggage and personal effects)
Pay a registration fee followed by a minimum fundraising target for your chosen charity. See our 'More Information' tab for details.